The Governance Handbook (section 4.7.1, paragraph 63) says the boards in maintained schools with a delegated budget can choose whether or not to pay allowances to board members. Where they choose to do so, it must be in accordance with policy of scheme.
The legislation on governor’s allowances is set out in the School Governance (Roles, Procedures and Allowances) (England) Regulations 2013, part 6.
North Ealing Primary School Governing Body believes that paying governor allowances, in specific categories as set out below, is important in ensuring equality of opportunity to serve as governors for all members of the community and so is an appropriate use of school funds. The specific items allowable reflect this objective.
All governors of North Ealing Primary School will be entitled to claim the actual costs which they incur as follows:
Governors will be able to claim allowances providing the allowances are incurred in carrying out their duties, as a Governor or representative of North Ealing Primary School and are agreed by the Resources Committee that they are justified before any reimbursable costs are incurred.
Governors will be able to claim for the following, on a case-by-case basis and with the prior approval of the Resources Committee
- Childcare or babysitting allowances (excluding payments to a current/former spouse or partner);
- Cost of care arrangements for an elderly or dependent relative (excluding payments to a current/former spouse or partner);
- The extra costs they incur in performing their duties either because they have special needs or because English is not their first language;
- The cost of travel relating only to travel to meetings/training courses at a rate of 24 pence per mile which does not exceed the specified rates for school personnel;
- Travel and subsistence costs, payable at the current rates specified by the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, associated with attending national meetings or training events, unless these costs can be claimed from the LEA or any other source;
- Telephone charges, photocopying, stationery, postage etc;
- Any other justifiable allowances.
The Governing Body at North Ealing Primary acknowledges that:
- Governors may not be paid attendance allowance;
- Governors may not be reimbursed for loss of earnings.
Governors wishing to make claims under these arrangements, once prior approval has been sought, should complete a claims form (obtainable from the School Office), attaching receipts where possible, and return it to the School within two weeks of the date when the allowances were incurred, when they will be submitted for approval by the Chair of Governors or Chair of Resources to be presented to the Resources Committee (which meets at least once a term) for final approval.
Claims will be subject to independent audit and may be investigated by the Chair of Governors (or Chair of Resources in respect of the Chair of Governors) if they appear excessive or inconsistent.
Model Claim Form – Click Here
Policy to be approved by
Full Governing Body
Policy last reviewed by the Full Governing Body
Policy last ratified and adopted by the Full Governing Body
Policy / Document due for review